Butternut squash toast, say what? Yes, you heard that right. A few weeks ago I was inspired by a recipe from Women’s Day for a butternut squash spread. The idea of trying squash on toast sounded a little risky, but I’m a sucker for all things butternut squash and decided to give it a go. The results ended up excellent-this recipe is easy to prepare and great for a sweet yet savory appetizer.
- Portuguese or italian bread-sliced
- ~1/2 C spreadable goat cheese
- 1/2 Butternut Squash-diced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of dried, crumbled sage
- Warm oven to 375 degrees C.
- While oven is warming, cut butternut squash into <1/2 in cubes
- In a baking dish, toss diced squash, sea salt, light brown sugar, and olive oil. Cover with foil and put in oven for ~15 min or until squash can be mashed when pressed.
- Toasted italian bread. Spread a spoonful of goat cheese evenly on each slice.
- When squash is soft, remove from oven. Sprinkle sage and gently mix w/squash. Top each piece of toast with a spoonful of squash. Best served immediately.