What better way to kick off the blueberry season with some blueberry lemon muffins? Love this recipe from Food 52 that I changed just a smidgen (due to lack of lemon zest).
Makes about 16 small muffins
- 2 Cups blueberries
- 2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup reduce fat buttermilk, at room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or spray muffin tins.
2. In a small bowl, toss fresh blueberries with 1/3 C of flour.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining flour, baking powder, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a third bowl, whisk the melted butter, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon extract sugar is evening mixed. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract.
5. Add flour mixture and mix well with third bowl. Then add buttermilk until fully mixed in.
6. Fold in blueberry mixture.
7. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle top lightly with sugar.
8. Baking about 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Set aside on wire rack to cool.