Once the butternut squash is roasted, the entire recipe takes about 5-10 minutes to make. To roast squash, dice and toss gently in olive oil. Roast in oven at 350 until tender and lightly browned.
- 1 cup milk (I used skim, but higher fat milk can be used to make oatmeal creamier)
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice mix
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup quick oats, dry
- pumpkin seeds (for topping)
- Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Then add butternut squash and puree with immersion blender.
- Stir in pumpkin spice mix, then add oats.
- Completely mix in oats and continue to let cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in honey to sweeten, and serve. Add pumpkin seeds on top if desired.
If you don’t have the time to roast the butternut squash, or just really want to make this pumpkin-flavored, you can easily substitute it with 3/4 cup pumpkin puree.
! Fun Fact: Did you know that butternut squash is actually found in canned pumpkin puree? Because they all fall under the same genus, many squashes are used in ‘100% pumpkin purees’. !