Blue hubbard may seem overwhelming to cut, but with the right technique it’s not that hard! In some instances, I’ve even resorted to dropping it on a clean tarp outside to break it open. (May sound crazy, but saves you plenty of time!) Cutting a medium-sized hubbard even resulted in 3-4 full gallon ziploc bags! The amount of cubes you can get per squash is amazing, allowing you to stock up in the freezer for future recipes.
Barley and Blue Hubbard Salad
- 1 cup barley, dried
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 cups blue hubbard squash, cubed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cups tahini
- olive oil
- curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Fill small pot and let come to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add barley, cover and let cook until tender, about 40-50 min.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F. Rinse chickpeas. In another bowl, toss in 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out on another lined sheet pan. Roast in oven until dry and somewhat hard, about 30 -40
- Change heat in oven to 400 F. In a bowl, toss blue hubbard squash in 1 Tbsp olive oil and 2 tsp curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread out on a lined sheet pan, leaving space between squash. Cook in oven until tender, about 15-25 minutes.
- When barley is done, place in a large bowl. Stir in tahini. When squash and chickpeas are done, mix into bowl as well as well as arugula. Add salt and pepper to taste.