Once the butternut squash is roasted, the entire recipe takes about 5-10 minutes to make. To roast squash, dice and toss gently in olive oil. Roast in oven at 350 until tender and lightly browned.
- 1 cup milk (I used skim, but higher fat milk can be used to make oatmeal creamier)
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice mix
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup quick oats, dry
- pumpkin seeds (for topping)
- Heat milk in saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Then add butternut squash and puree with immersion blender.
- Stir in pumpkin spice mix, then add oats.
- Completely mix in oats and continue to let cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in honey to sweeten, and serve. Add pumpkin seeds on top if desired.
If you don’t have the time to roast the butternut squash, or just
! Fun Fact: Did you know that butternut squash is actually found in canned pumpkin puree? Because they all fall under the same genus, many squashes are used in ‘100% pumpkin purees’. !