1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups cold water
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups diced onions
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
3 T EVOO
1 1/2 lb mushroom
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup red wine
1 T soy sauce
2 cups chopped kale
salt & cracked black pepper
1. In a heavy-bottomed 2 qt saucepan, stir together the cornmeal, salt, and cold water.
2. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to simmer. Continue stirring every few minutes until soft and thick.
3. Turn off the head and stir in the cheese.
4. In a stew pot on medium heat, warm the oil and cook the onions and bell peppers for about 5 minutes.
5. Chop mushrooms into halve or quarters. Add to stew pot for 4-5 minutes with thyme.
6. Add the red wine and soy sauce, stir in the kale and cook for a couple of minutes more, until the kale has wilted. Season with salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
7. To serve, spoon polenta into individual wide, shallow bowls and top with stew.