Are you new to okra? Do you have absolutely no idea what to do with it? Well then, look no further. I have the perfect spice roasted okra recipe for you.
Okra is a unique, pointy vegetable that has deep roots in the South. It’s stickiness is used to thicken gumbo. However, it’s quite intimidating to northerners where gumbo is less popular and is typically only found at specialty produce stores such as Whole Foods. But, if you live in a northern state, okra grows quite beautifully in the backyard in the summer.
To the newcomer, okra can be quite intimidating. It’s taste alone can be relatively insignificant, but it’s gooey texture and mouthfeel can be quite overwhelming. The good news is that there are so many different ways to cook okra, you can experiment with how you like it best.
Personally, outside gumbo I enjoy okra whole, spiced, and freshly roasted. Keep reading for my spice roasted okra recipe.
Spice Roasted Okra Recipe
- Large bunch of okra (~20 pieces), rinsed with water
- 2 tsp of EVOO
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- **1/2 tsp Paprika or Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Curry
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
**Note: I can’t handle spice, at all. If you enjoy something spicy, feel free to replace paprika with cayenne or a spicier pepper powder as needed. **
- Preheat oven to 425. In a small bowl or cup, combine all the spices and mix well.
- In a large bowl, add okra, EVOO, and spice mixture. Toss until spices are evenly incorporated.
- Lay okra out on a baking sheet, leaving plenty of space between them. Roasted in the oven for 15 minutes, 20 for larger okra, turning every 5 minutes. Okra should be golden brown when done.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy hot! I personally like to dip my okra in sour cream or greek yogurt.